AEGEENEWS-L Archives

July 2004

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Ewa Solarczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ewa Solarczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:20:13 +0200
16.07.2004 - AEGEE expresses enthusiasm about the Commission's adoption of the new generation of education programmes

The European Students' Forum AEGEE with enthusiasm and appreciation have learnt that on Wednesday 14 July the European Commission adopted proposals for the new generation of programmes in the education, youth, culture and audiovisual fields. We consider the adopted developments and changes to be a beneficial and important step towards the achievement of the goal of the Lisbon Strategy - to make Europe the most competitive knowledge-based society. We believe that the new programmes will provide the Union with an instrument to help improve the quality of education and training systems.

We would especially like to express our appreciation of the decision to raise the budget for Higher Education programs, and are sure that it's the right investment in building the European society with the aim to help improve the quality of education and training systems. Moreover we are happy for the extension of the "Youth Programme" ("Youth in Action" since 2007) in terms of the age of young people eligible to be its beneficiaries (to 13-30) as well as placing a huge emphasis on youth exchanges and the ambitious plans of the Commission for 35.000 exchange projects to take place by 2013. Student exchanges is one of AEGEE's main and most popular activity.

AEGEE has been active in the field of promoting student mobility for years now, being one of the originators of the idea of the Erasmus Project in 1987/1988, then regularly organising the Erasmus Action Week, and even coming up with a proposal for the Commission to introduce the blended learning program - a combination of summer courses and e-learning. AEGEE has been devoting its activities to a European-wide lobby for the programs which significantly increase the mobility of students across Europe for their studies, introducing a European dimension in education and enhancing intercultural learning and experience sharing. AEGEE has been leading a continuous dialogue with the Institutions on the topic, and concluded with the seminar in the European Parliament on the 26th of May this year.

AEGEE wishes the Commission to realise their ambitious goals. "We are committing ourselves to popularise the new programmes among European students and will continue our involvement in motivating students to take part in them." - concludes Nicola Rega, President of AEGEE-Europe.

AEGEE is one of Europe's largest interdisciplinary and voluntary student associations, operating without being linked to any political party, promoting a unified Europe, cross-border co-operation, communication and integration in academic environment, and at the same time striving to create an open and tolerant society by involving students and young graduates in valuable projects and discussions over the topics of importance for the communities they live in. It is represented in 260 university cities, in 42 countries all around Europe and has about 17000 members.

More information:
Ewa Solarczyk
Vice-President / Director for Public Relations, AEGEE-Europe
Email: [log in to unmask]

European Students' Forum - AEGEE
Rue Nestor de Tiere 15
1030 Bruxelles