RAINBOW-L Archives

July 1999

From:
Angie Mifsud <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angie Mifsud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:23:24 +0200
Hello everyone!!

I know that all of you are planning to go to participate in great SU's held
all over Europe, but have you thought of what to do afterwards?  Here is the
solution!!

For those of you who don't know about it, AEGEE Valletta is organizing
a fantastic event with the theme - Peace in the Mediterranean Region -
Can We Find a Solution?  This conference forming part of the Peace
Academy project (AEGEE YearPlan Spring 1998) shall be aimed at
achieving a better understanding of the origins of Mediterranean
civilisation in order to be in a better position to analyse problems
encountered within various Mediterranean countries and work on finding
potential solutions.

The main objective is to establish a platform for discussing and
analysing the impacts of conflicts over societies in terms of culture,
history and politics.  The main point is to create an atmosphere where
people with different backgrounds coming from European and Mediterranean
countries will have the chance to tell and learn about other cultures and
other identities similar problems and similar past.  This exchange will
provide a fruitful ground for making an analysis of where they stand and
what led them to that specific point.

The Maltese Islands

On most maps, our island is just a speck in the middle of the blue sea
of the Mediterranean – on some others it is not even that!  Yet, at one
point or another in its history, Malta has experienced the presence and
influence of all the cultures  which now surround the Medtierranean
sea.  This has given our country a cultural identity rich in diversity.
A possible bridge between two worlds  which for centuries have
struggled to understand each other, Malta has managed like few others
to bring together Mediterranean and European cultures.  A conference on
Peace in the Mediterranean cannot be held but here!

Location:         Valletta, Malta
Date:             28/10/99 to 2/11/99
Participants: 60
Fee:    40 Euro; including lodging in a 3 star hotel by the sea, at least 2
meals a day, course material and cultural trips

Program:

Thursday 28th October 1999:
9:00am to
8:00pm  Arrivals
9:00pm  Welcome Party

Friday 29th October 1999:
7:30am  Breakfast
8:30am  Opening Ceremony
9:30am  Lecture - Common roots 1:
            Is there a common identity in the Mediterranean area?
            Historical issues affecting Inter-Med Relations
11:00am Coffee Break
11:30am Workshops on above topic
1:00pm  Lunch
2:30pm  Lecture – The Role of Economics in Mediterranean Security
4:00pm  Coffee Break
4:30pm  Workshops on above topic
6:00pm  Closure of the Day
7:00pm  Dinner
8:00pm  Cultural Trip - Mdina by Night: the Silent City
                                 - Valletta: Malta’s Capital City

Saturday 30th October 1999:
7:30am  Breakfast
8:30am  Lecture - Common roots 2:
            Is there a common identity in the Mediterranean area?
        Looking through the similarities and differences of
            languages and religions in the region.  Can a proper
            education structure give a common identity to Mediterranean
            students?
10:00am Coffee Break
10:30am Workshops on above topic
12:00pm Lunch
1:30pm  Lecture - Refugees and migration in the Mediterranean
2:30pm  Coffee Break
3:00pm  Workshops on above topic
4:00pm  Coffee Break
4:30pm  Lecture – Euro-Med Process
5:30pm  Coffee Break
6:00pm  Workshops on above topic
7:00pm  Closure of the Day
8:00pm  Dinner
10:00pm Social night – The Maltese Saturday Night Fever

Sunday 31st October 1999

7:30am  Breakfast
8:30am  Lecture – Conflict Resolution
                Arab, Algerian, Middle East, Balkans Situations
10:00am Coffee Break
10:30am Workshop on above Topic
12:00pm Lunch
1:30pm  Simulation Game – Conflict Resolution
3:30pm  Results of the Workshops
4:00pm  Conference Wind Up
5:30pm  Closing Ceremony
7:30pm  Dinner
9:00pm  European Night – Social

Monday 1st November 1999:
7:30am  Breakfast
8:30am  Day Tour – the Sister Island – Gozo
‘The island where time stood still’

Tuesday 2nd November 1999:
7:30am  Breakfast
8:30am to
12:00pm Departures

Application Deadline: 1st September 1999.  You may still think it is a bit
early but the earlier the better!!  We can have more time to process your
applications!!  So apply now!!

Application form:

Name:

Surname:

Address:

Antenna:

Tasks in Your Antenna:

Date of Birth:

Sex:

Telephone:

E-Mail:

Motivation Letter:

Check out our Web Site: http://aegeevalletta.webjump.com/peaceac.htm

Note: In order to ensure your participation, we require fees to be paid at
least 1 month prior to arrival.