RAINBOW-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Gunnar Erth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gunnar Erth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 23:34:00 +0200
Dear Fabrizio,

I'm sorry to see your disappointment... but I think your reaction is
not appropriate. AEGEE is not about regional thinking or pushing
ideas of regions...

>- no one of the italian candidates for european positions made it and
>our only pride, Davide, is on the point of resigning
>- the role of Italy, France, Spain, Greece in European bodies is close
>to NIL point.

Dear Fabrizio, who cares? It's not a matter of nationality, it's a matter
of convincing others about ideas, about enthusiasm and motivation.

>To contrast all of this I invite you to form a "southern lobby, in
>order to promote our candidates, to give strenght to our proposals, to
>prevent AEGEE from going northwards.

Fabrizio, I'm really sorry, but I think your perception of the network
is not correct. AEGEE is not going northwards, just because we have
a Finnish secretary now ;-). Just look at the composition of the CD:
3 Polish, 2 Turkish, 1 Greek, 1 Finish, 1 Dutch, 1 Romanian. In
other words: 4 CEEC, 3 Southern Europe, 2 Nothern. But this
is anyway not important, because you cannot see the geographical
distribution reflected in the discussions or work of the association.
And in first place, it should not bother us at all, because we promote
European thinking and not regional thinking....
AEGEE is a pool of ideas, of different minds from Europe. Not of
different minds from North, South, Centre, East or West...

>In my opinion, without the creativity and the hard-working of south
>europe AEGEE is losing its natural balance with the consequences that
>we all witnessed in Amsterdam.

Well, it was surely not good what happened in Amsterdam, but
I don't see how "creativity and the hard-working of south europe
AEGEE" could have provided a better chairing, a smarter JC,
a CD without fights... I would be happy to see more creative,
idealistic and hard-working people, but it's not a matter of
geography, but of the motivation of the people, based on a
European spirit.

And I sincerely hope, Fabrizio, that you and your friends from
Termoli won't stay disappointed, but take an active stand in
the future of our European association! :)

Best greetings from Budapest (neither North nor South :-))
Gunnar