RAINBOW-L Archives

March 2001

From:
Aegee Udine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:31:14 +0200
Aegee Udine remembers you our event!

                     Eastward enlargement of EU
                           17-20 maj 2001

AEGEE-Udine decided to join the project on the behalf that it's important to
awaken young Europeans to the upcoming enlargement process and to encourage an
open debate. Our aim is to give them the occasion to evaluate its possible
consequences for themselves and the societies they live in discovering which
fears and hopes are realistic and which of them simply don't have a base.
Around 45 participants from all over Europe will meet to discuss the processes
of European enlargement. Two days of workhops focused on Membership Criteria
fixed in Copenhagen in 1993 will analise if these countries are able to fulfill
the criteria. The situation will be analysed under three different
prospectives: the state of democracy, the level of introduction of comunitary
legislation and the functionality of market economy.
Serveral topics will be developed. Will the companies of these countries be
able to be competitive? Will EU citiziens loose their jobs just because cheaper
working hands from the new member countries may be prefered? How will it be
possible to control migratory flow when there will be no borders? Will civil
societies in the applicant countries be stable enough to stay in the European
Union? What will change in Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP)?
On the last day a final conference, with a greater participation, will resume
and come to conclusion on the work done.
To this final conference we invited the Member of the European Parliament on.
Demetrio Volcic who is going to give us a confirmation the first days of Apirl
and a delegate of UNESCO. Leaders for the workshops, instead, have been asked
to the college of Europe by AEGEE-Europe. Whilst lecturers will be the
participants to the workshops. At the moment we have people coming from Kiev,
Chisinau, Bucharest, Blagoevgrad, Kyiv, Sofia, Torino Thessaloniky, Beograd,
Kharkov, Onesti-Bacau.
Actually we are still evaluating the course of the three workshop, if in
succession or in contemporaneity. The decision will depend on the total number
of lecturers we will reach. For the final conference, instead, it's likely also
the presence of two recognized teachers.
In this contest the presence of the MEP on. Demetrio Volcic will raise the
level of the conference bringing reliable evidence about the state of
democracy; while the presence of a delegate of UNESCO will introduce the
problems under a cultural dimension that could come out by the enlargement of
European Union.
Of the four major cultures which interact on the European continent, so far
only two are represented in the European Union with nations. Is the European
Union able to cope with an even broader cultural dimension including Slavic and
Turk nations? Are civil societies different in these countries? How will those
cultures interact and influence each other? Diversity is good as long as it is
something easy to understand. People are afraid of the unknown, so our aim is
to make different (unfamiliar) cultures familiar, to change the devalued other
into something we can understand and accept. Do we strive in that way towards a
monolithic culture inside a united Europe or are we able to say "Vive la
difference!" and find the unity in our diversity?

Program

Thrusday May 17th, 2001
Morning: arrival of participants and lecturers.
Afternoon: begin of the workshops open to participants.
- the state of democracy of the Countries involved in the process,
- the level of introduction of comunitary legislation
- the functionality of market economy
 Evening: Welcome party
 Friday May 18th, 2001
 All day continuation of the workshops.
- the state of democracy of the Countries involved in the process,,
- the level of introduction of comunitary legislation
- the functionality of market economy
Evening: Tajut Rally
Saturday May 19th, 2001
Final Conference open to high-schools students.
- Presentation
- Greeting by a delegate of University of Udine
- Greeting by a delegate of the Council
- Report by teachers and lecturers
- Report by relater of the workshops
- Conclusions by on. Demetrio Volcic and by the delegate of UNESCO
Afternoon: Leisure Programme, city tour.
Evening: Party: Europen Night
Sunday May 20th, 2001
Departure day

application deadline
 1 April 2001 for people who need visa
17 April 2001 for people who don't need visa

FEE 10 euro Eastern
    15 euro Western

application form

name:
surname:
Aegee local:
sex[m/f/null/yes/no] :
Vegetarian:
date of birth:
Address street:
ZIP
city
Country
phone
Email
Visa required ? if yes
Passport number
Nationality
place of birth
Motivation letter:
We ask a motivation letter [at least 200 words] and / or a brief introduction
about material you wish to present to our conference. Motivation letter is very
important for us so please do it!

send application emails to

for further infos
web: http://www.uniud.it/~aegee_ud/aegee.html
EMail: [log in to unmask] - [log in to unmask] - [log in to unmask]