RAINBOW-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Enrico Lai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Enrico Lai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 13:57:17 +0200
Ciao Stefan.. thank you for your suggestions

Stefan Hauk ha scritto:

> Ciao Davide, Dear Rainbow region,
>
>  Personally I consider it a very dangerous thing for AEGEE if
> lobbying starts to take place on national or regional level.

Personally i am really happy to read it..

> On national level I think that is not very relevant because people are
> aware that it is a danger. With the regional level it is different! You
> might tend to think that a strong regional level is a good thing because
> it can replace the national level. However, this is only true when it
> comes to administration and network development. That is why the Netcom
> was founded. The region should help "isolated" locals to do the first step
> towards cooperating with other locals, to see more of Europe! This is
> easier when regional meetings are taking place for example. What these 10
> regions are NOT supposed to do is setting up new borders between them!
>
> If the regional level would be used as a "political" rather than an
> administrative entity it would change many things in AEGEE.  Regional
> lobbying during Agora, decision making power for Regional Meetings,
> election of Netcommies by his/her own region ... these are things that are
> brought up from time to time, but I consider them as extremely dangerous!
> In the moment we start introducing a new level besides the local and the
> European one, AEGEE will loose a lot of what it is now: a very flexible
> and truly European association! Please don't set up new borders and try to
> think whether regional identity building is really what we need...

Dear Stefan don't worry, we don't want to set up a new level beside the local and
the European already existing.. our only goal to get is to give more importance to
our voices at least arriving in the same level of other non raimbowist voices... i
think that you get my point...

> Better focus on ideas, as Davide says:
>
> > -Transparency, this is a good point, many people liked it, but people
> > enjoyied more to destroy the recent Proposal instead of adding feedbacks to
> > it.
>
> Well, I explained the reasons why I am against it in the plenary and also
> to Luca in a personal talk. (Almost) nobody will be against transparency,
> but the recent proposal was not a good way to improve it.

The proposal was not good enough to be accepted immediately.. it was only the first
step and we already know it.. you can ask to the members of Aegee Passau present in
our workshop that we already know the result..

> If you want to achieve more transparency you have to ask the right
> questions on the mailing lists, in private emails, during Agoras.

We have asked to everyone in Aegee Europe comments and suggestion but let's say the
answering were not so many.. but we try again..

> If you want transparency then try to get proper answers to your questions
> and ask them again if you think the answer was merely diplomatic.
> If you want transparency then introduce it in a "de facto" way, not in a
> "de jure" way. It puts a stronger pressure on bodies to explain their
> decisions if you can say "it was always done like this" instead of "it is
> written in paragraph x".

I agree and we surely take in consideration all your suggestions.

> Finally if you really want to have a proposal about it, restrict it to
> some very concrete points like "after an open call to statutory meetings /
> to Liaison Officers all applying persons/bodies have to be named and the
> decision has to be justified".

We already tried to restrict.. we have even made a list during the workshop
pointing all important act that have to be trasparent.. but we'll try to make is
more strict and clear..

> Don't put general items in there because Dominika very effectively
> demonstrated where that can lead. Do you see my point?

Absolutely yes..

> > A lobbying on these ideals can start from the Rainbow, only because here
> > there's an highest percentage of people that think AEGEE in that way. Then
> > it can involve also other Regions, and be the solution to invert the
> > process of decreasing motivation for AEGEE in Western Europe.
> > So we have to be proud of our sharing ideals not of our geographical borders.
>
> I am looking forward to more initiatives coming from the Rainbow-Region!

you will see a lot, Stefan..