RAINBOW-L Archives

June 1999

From:
MISC Team <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MISC Team <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:36:58 CEST
Dear people,

so...25 antennae (the total number of antennae in the region is 29 +2 CA...)
are very busy with the preparation of the Summer Universities.
The SU-project is one of the oldest and most continous one of AEGEE,since
1988,but unfortunately compromises the implementation of the Yearplan
activities.
I know it seems quite early,but the 1th phase has started in May and it's
until about October.During this preparation-period we should :
-find concrete topics(thematical preparation,discussion)
-find interested locals
-general fund-raising for the project

I've to say that we're famous to be the fun region with a great
partecipation to the SUs but the lowest to the YP events (especially in
Italy considering the  density of the network here).
Even with the incentives of having special support from the CD,special
status in the Calendar of Events,common possibilities for PR and
FR,cooperation with AEGEE-Europe and other locals,etc.

Anyway,here it is the topic for the Yearplan 2000 "Borderless
Europe-Mobility of European Citizens",which was approved by the agora with
the 73%of majority.

It is directed both to EU and non-EU students.
I think there's the possibility to combine this purpose with one of the
Bridges to [log in to unmask] Marco-AEGEE-Salerno? : the project concerning the Serbian
  and Albanian students is also about mobility,and a human
rights/educational issue.
And another topic could be the voluntary work (mobility of volunteers in
Europe)
Any ideas? (Roberto,AEGEE-Udine??)

Are you thinking about it or it's all postponed for September?

For the discussion and questions you can send email to Markus Schonherr or
on aegee-l!

(below the draft and the presentation of the YP )

hope to hear you soon,

Angela

Borderless Europe Rallye - Draft!!!
(working title)

Goal:
Who finds the cheapest way through Europe by train (without using
InterRail or hitchhiking) in a given time with a number of stopovers.

Who:
5 teams of 2 students from different countries from each departure
point (that makes 20 participants in the rallye).

Prize:
The winners (one for each route) get, for example, an all-zone
InterRail for one year, or free flights or something like that
(”unlimited mobility”).

Date:
Summer 2000 (July or August), duration about 15 days.

Possible Routes:
Western branch: Coimbra - Montpellier - Innsbruck - Copenhagen -
Tampere Eastern branch: Adana - Thessaloniki - Oradea - Warszawa -
Tampere (These are suggestions, of course this can be varied and
changed around! None of the antennae in these places has been asked yet!)
The participants are required to arrive at the stopovers and at the
destination before a given date and time.

Social Programme:
At the departure, stopover and destination places we can have parties and
other events around them (SUs, conferences, festivals etc.). At the
destination, where all the teams will arrive, we can have AEGEE’s 15th
Anniversary Festival (this would be in Finland, the land of the midnight
sun, in this case).

Sponsoring:
Possible sponsors are airlines (like TAP Air Portugal, Turkish
Airlines, or Finnair), railway companies, travel companies, travel
guide books and so on. Of course also the European Commission or the Council
of Europe might want to chip in. Sponsors must be found to provide the
participants with money for the tickets they have to buy
for the rallye, including the trips to the departure and from the
destination points.

Media Coverage:
The rallye can be followed by (for example) MTV Europe, on the WWW,and by
printed media (newspapers, magazines) day-by-day (might also be a way for
sponsoring). This would give AEGEE an excellent opportunity for publicity.

Local Events

In the framework of the Borderless Europe project, many antennae can
organise small local events, in order to inform their members and
other students at their universities on mobility opportunities in
Europe. Local events can take a few hours or even a day, and can
consist of a lecture, a panel discussion, distribution of information
material etc.

Topics

Topics for local events can be:

What to do when you want to study or work abroad

Border regime - visit of a border station (road, railway, airport)

Demonstrations against excessive bureaucracy at border points, aliens’

Borderless Europe
Mobility of European Citizens

Seminars and Conferences

In the framework of the Borderless Europe project, seminars should
enable and encourage AEGEE members to do some thorough research on specific
mobility topics. The research is to be discussed during the seminars. The
results of the seminars are to be presented at conferences. The conferences
should be a platform for broad
discussion.

Seminars

Seminars should have between 10 and 20 participants from all over
Europe. It should take a weekend (”usual” AEGEE event). Preferable
locations would be border towns, so as to be able to organise
cross-border excursions and visits. Also places near an airport, or
places with a lot of immigrants could be interesting.

The participants of a seminars should write short ”research” essays
(some 5 pages A4) on a topic of the seminar. As an incentive,
participants who handed in their essays could receive (partial) travel
reimbursement.

Speakers at the seminars can be politicians, administration officials,
NGO representatives, and scholars. They should discuss specific
aspects with well-prepared participants.

Conferences

Conferences are designed for a broader audience. There should be at least 50
participants, who can take part without previous requirements (”usual” AEGEE
conference). Locations of conferences could be anywhere.
There should be presentations by experts about certain topics,
presentations of seminar results, and panel discussions, in which
participants can take part, too.

Topics

Seminar and conference topics can be:

Necessity and effectiveness of visa requirements (for EU / non-EU
citizens) in a common Europe ”1989 - locked in -> 2000 - locked out”

European Citizenship versus bureaucratic requirements for ”foreign”
fellow Europeans (EU / non-EU nationals) who want to live in a given
country as students, workers etc. ”European Citizenship in a Europe of the
Bureaucrats”

Compatibility and harmonisation of Europe’s social security systems
(pensions, health care etc., EU / non-EU) ”Europe 2040 - who will pay my
pension?”

Effects of border regimes (checkpoints, regulations) on local
residents and on immigration, life and status of cross border workers
and students ”Living on the border”

History, present, and future of Euro-Regions

Labour immigration into the EU versus mobility of labour within the EU
”Mission Impossible - (Un-)Welcome to the European Union!” ”Who wantsto be
mobile, anyway?”

Mutual recognition of diplomas in Europe (EU / non-EU)
”Student Mobility in practice - four years of Socrates Action Days”

Yearplan 2000 based on the topic:"Borderless Europe-Mobility of European
citizens"
is called:"Borderless Europe Rally"
still looking for a Project Team!  so if you're interested in organising an
event (conference,CST,SU,seminar,local event) in the framework of Borderless
Europe or for any questions and discussions ,contact :
Markus Schonherr, East-West WG of AEGEE-EuropeIngling 17, A-4784
Schardenberg, Phone ++43-7713-4016 (fax on request)
Refet Saban (projects) [log in to unmask]
Marcus Khoury (PR)

Mobility of Europeans is a very fashionable topic nowadays. Inside theEU it
is encouraged, and into the EU it is discouraged. But who knows what it
really is all about? Who knows how well legislation and administrations have
been adapted to the requirements of a bettermobility of Europeans? What
happens if you really dare to leave your native country and work, study or
retire somewhere else in Europe? And what are your opportunities, if you are
not an EU citizen, or if you are an EU citizen, but want to go to a non-EU
state? What will you face, and what should be improved?

Topics:
The following topics are suggestions. Some are more important, othersare
rather marginal.
-Mobility of Students
The Socrates Programme wants to encourage students in the EU statesand some
candidate countries to study in another country, in order toexperience
European diversity first hand. But why are there still so many practical and
administrative problems? Why does all this excessive bureaucracy persist?
And what papers and documents do I really have to present, and which forms
to fill in, what to apply for,and why?
-Mobility of Labour
When the Euro was introduced, many economists claimed that it would fail,
unless there were a greater mobility of labour in the Euro zone.Why are
there still so many obstacles to a larger percentage of the population
working in another EU country? In fact, the mobility oflabour across the EU
borders is being prevented by many regulations and visa regimes. What
exactly are my opportunities to work in another European country? What are
the requirements, and what are my rights?
-Recognition of Diplomas and Work Experience
Is it really true that my diploma will be recognised in all EUcountries?
What if I am from a non-EU state? How do I have to prove my language skills?
What if I want to work in a state that restricts access to my type of
profession?
-Visa Requirements
Visas continue to be a nuisance in East-West relations. Procedures are
tedious, bureaucratic and expensive. Why do we need visas, and do we need
them at all? What can we do in order to relieve the burden? How do
consulates and embassies work? What can I do in order to get myvisas more
easily? Whom should I complain to, if I feel treated in the wrong way?
-Transfer of Social Security Benefits and Entitlements
What happens to my pension, if I go to work abroad, or if I worked inseveral
European countries during my life? What standard of healthcare and health
insurance will I be able to maintain if I work abroad?How can I transfer
entitlements I earned while working in one country,when I go to another
country?
-Taxation and Bureaucracy
What happens to my tax bill if I work in one country, and my spouse ina
second one? And perhaps we all live in a third country? And even ifit is not
that complicated, what taxes do I have to pay if I move to another country?
Do I have to pay extra taxes or fees for my car if Imove to another country?
How do I fill in forms, or register my car abroad, if I don't understand the
language of the bureaucrats in my new country?

Aims:

This YP project should enable AEGEE members to find out what opportunities
they have in the way of mobility as citizens of Europe.It is directed both
to EU and non-EU citizens. We want to find out obstacles to mobility, and
identify who is responsible for these obstacles. As a consequence, solutions
should be worked out, and presented to national and European politicians,
administrations, andNGOs.

Implementation :

May - October 1999: Preparation finding concrete topics and participating
antennae
                               general fund-raising for the project
November 1999 - February 2000: Training courses for event organisers

March - October 2000   Events :
                                   conferences
                                   seminars
                                   essay contests