RAINBOW-L Archives

November 2002

From:
Luca Falcone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luca Falcone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:46:10 +0100
Dear friends,

this e-mail has a very personal content: it will seem also strange,
pathetic,
boring.
But I must be sincere: I don't take care of this at all.

Don't read it, dear Rainbowists, if you think a long thank to a friend don't
have
to find place on this mailing list.

But before deleting this e-mail remember
probably you also have a debit with that friend of mine, that's probably
also yours,...

...because he is DAVIDE CALENDA.

Davide Calenda is a "big" friend, but also a big friend of us. He was the
flag of this Region for all the last two years and also one of the most
precious and significant members of our Association. His AEGEE spirit is
exemplary, and his intellectual honesty when he was at the highest roles of
AEGEE is a route for all  of us.
Be clear: I'm not describing a Saint, but only one of the best AEGEEns was
possible to meet.
And I'm doing it only for one reason: for sure not because he is dead (this
is
not an obituary notice at all !!! Davide Calenda is perfectly fine, he's
still always hungry and sleepy and he lives always with his big bottle of
Venetian wine under his bed !!! ), but because he told me he doesn't want
only to leave his task in the NetCom, but he wants to leave also all AEGEE,
and I'm trying to persuade him to change his decision, as I did after the
Agora in Amsterdam, but I'm not so sure to be able to do it.

AEGEE  spent almost one hour of the Agora greeting an important AEGEE member
who was only changing his task, then permit me to spend a few minutes by
e-mail
greeting an other important AEGEE member who is leaving all our Association
(also if I'll work a lot against it!).

I met him the first time here in Napoli, where he took part in our
conference "Euroschool - The single currency for United
Europe" here in Napoli .  I remember a visit we had altogether at the
marvellous Museum
of Capodimonte, one of the most important painting gallery of Italy (that,
forgive me here, means of the World). And I remember him starting to explain
to all of us all ( but really all !!!) of the Renaissance paintings, and my
best memory is for the
long and beautiful part dedicated to the Tiziano's red of the portrait of
the Pope Paolo III Farnese.

Then I met him again in the Autumn 2000 during the Agora in Udine. There he
greeted me and he told me only: "Hi Luca. I candidated for the Network
Commission." No one word more! And no more for all the Agora!
And in two years  it was the only time and the only way I sow and heard him
"lobbying" :-)) !!!

Then we started to work together... to be honest I started to work with him.
He appointed me as SubCommissioner ( this character he invented as first was
one of his great and famous intuitions! ) and he motivated me to work in
favour of the development of the South of Italy, that at moment was very
week and poor of enthusiasm and activities. And also if he's living in
Venezia, we percepted always his presence here.
I think everybody remembers his incredible NetCom Trip by ship: Bari,
Napoli, Palermo, Valletta and some important Contacts.

And nobody can forget the incredibly huge quantities of new locals he
strongly supported during all his "career": Trento, Messina, Cosenza,
Latina, Teramo, Termoli, Sarajevo, Modena, Padova, Macerata. And the
Contacts: Catania, Banja Luka, Avellino-Benevento, Parma, Reggio Emilia.

In the meantime he was been elected as Speaker of the Network Commission,
one of the highest position in AEGEE, and he worked for a new image of the
Commission, and also (successfully too!) for the obtainment of more money
for the activities of  the NetCom, that means for the support of the locals.

Then he went to Ankara for the Agora.
It was a terrible Agora for us: not more then only two or three
representatives from all the Rainbow Region, only a few votes, and of course
many candidates from our Region violently defeated  (Fabio Rascia, Carletto
Fadda ... ).
Davide Calenda was the first elected of the Network Commission in Ankara.
And of course he was confirmed as Speaker.

And it was the time of two important activities: the battle for the
transparency and the European School in Rome.

Transparency was the password of Davide Calenda for one whole year, and no
more
today only because, also if the proposal was rejected at the terrible
Agora in Amsterdam, now you can see it's one of the main contents in all the
programs of AEGEE.

The European School in Rome was a big and difficult success: it was the
chance for him to involve new people of the Region. He started to call, to
send e-mail, to motivate the boards, to lobby ( now yes ! ! ! ) for a big
and enthusiastic
partecipation from pur Region, but also from all the Network.
And that ES (where he was also one of the most important Trainers) was the
real beginning of the AEGEE life of the current President of the Juridical
Commission (Amedeo Ferrara), of one of the most active protagonists of  the
Internal Education in AEGEE and now PR of the SUCT (Fabrizio Fantini), of
Giselle Spiteri Miggiani (who one month ago was officially appointed by the
President Tomek Helbin to represent AEGEE at an international meeting in
Italy).

But I would like to remember also the "FR and SU Training Course" in Napoli
and Salerno, that was an other great intuition, with lots of participants
and
big improvement and motivation of two locals.
And I would like to remember it also because I have the (mis-:-)fortune to
divide the room with Davide, and during a long night we spent talking about
AEGEE he described me the task of  NetCommie, and finally for the first time
he asked me ironically if I was disposed to be the next one. There I was
scared (don't joke me! It's true! ) and amused by the only idea. And of
course I refused smiling.
I accepted ( also thank to the support of the other SubCommies ) some months
after, when there was a discussion amongst all the
Rainbow Team, and Davide officially announced he won't be candidate more.

The greatest quality of Davide, as I just told, is the intuition.
He's able to understand immediately the chances, the atmospheres, the
situations, the people.
This is a list of his first SubCommissioners.
And remember: almost nobody knows them before.

Nicola Rega ( currently President of the Members Commission, Speaker of the
                      HRWG, Member of the Academy , Former-President of
                      AEGEE-Torino )
Giulietta Banzi ( currently President of AEGEE-Pavia, Former-Local
                         Responsible of the PRWG )
Francesca Fedrizzi ( currently President of AEGEE-Trento, Secretary of the
                               Academy )
Chiaretta Benetazzo ( currently ABC Co-ordinator, Case Menager of the "FR
                                  and SU TR", Former-President of
                                 AEGEE-Treviso )
Sasha Sirca ( currently Board Member of AEGEE-Ljubljana, Co-ordinator of the
                     Slovenian-Croatian Mini-RM in Trebnje )
Tamara Novak ( currently President of AEGEE-Maribor )
Silva Petrovic ( currently Board-Member of the PRWG, Former-Secretary of
                        AEGEE-Zagreb )
Giselle Spiteri Miggiani ( currently Secretary of the VFF, Vice-President of
                                     AEGEE-Firenze, Representative of
                                     AEGEE-Europe at the EPSA annual general
                                     meeting in Firenze )
Fabrizio Fantini ( currently PR Responsible of the SUCT, Member of the
                          Academy, Former-President of AEGEE-Termoli )
Amedeo Ferrara ( currently President of the Juridical Commission, Projects
                            Responsible of the PRWG, PR Responsible of  the
                            HRWG, President of AEGEE-Napoli )

Davide was always able to understand the potential of everybody he has with
him, obtaining great results.

Now, "Daddy" Davide, you leave the Network Commission and you would desire
to leave also AEGEE. Probably you are upset, I can understand you. Probably
all your big work was not visible enough to be at least remembered in
public, for sure recently somebody didn't
appreciate all your worth, and you felt bad for this.
But I beg you : don't care.
Don't care. Your worth was not totally appreciated yet in AEGEE, but it will
be.
As it always happens in all the communities.Sometimes people are used to see
somebody making something, and they
understand the real value of it only when that somebody quits his activity.

And anyway remember: for all of us you will be always our CALENDONE !

THANK YOU DAVIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luca

Luca Falcone
RAINBOW Network Commissioner