RAINBOW-L Archives

May 2002

From:
"Chiara B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chiara B.
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 14:51:02 +0200
Dear all Rainbowist and dearest Fabrizio,

I know many polemics, comments, accusations are running now on AGORA-L and
probably will run for quite a while... amongst all of them I must be honest
this one was the one I disliked most:

> Dear Luca,
> dear everyone who is unable to stand anymore the shit we saw in the
> last agora':

First of all, no matter what happened, nothing in an Agora can be defined
with shuch a word, no matter how much you disliked or you feel disappointed.
There a full dictionary of negative words in English to define a thing you
didn't like and I think <shit> is the less appropriate.
The only "shit" we actually saw during the Agora was a professional
"balance_SHIT.xls"  presented by former Treasurer Dominika ;-)))

> - no one of the italian candidates for european positions made it and
> our only pride, Davide, is on the point of resigning

Please, Rainbow region is not only made by Italy, no matter if it is the
largest country in the region. Leave such "italian frustration" aside...
From your words look like there have been teens of candidates from Italy and
all them got cut out: actually only two were the italian candidates at the
beginning, out which one withdrew his candidature himself.
The only one left lost the competition for a body in which 4 were the places
and 5 the candidates.

Furthermore no one so far congratulated with another member coming from our
region, that has just been electes as president of the Member's Commission,
IVANA VUKOV.
(let me open personal brackets: she made a very nice and convincing
presentation for her candidature, I really loved the way she presented her
arguments and the way she structured the speech! It was for me the second
best, after of course Mark de Beer with his ppt presentation ;-))) ... sorry
for such a personal comment but I felt to do it, since I don't consider only
lobbies as crucial for being elected but also the way you present yourself
to the Agora.)

> - the role of Italy, France, Spain, Greece in European bodies is close
> to NIL point.
> To contrast all of this I invite you to form a "southern lobby, in
> order to promote our candidates, to give strenght to our proposals, to
> prevent AEGEE from going northwards.

I hear such comments on Italians left out of key position in AEGEE-Europe so
many times so far as much as I know the "italian frustration" of never
coping with elections: you can claim a lobby against Italian as much as you
like but consider also that lobbies works on a block of votes, not on the
whole of votes you get.

Concering the NIL point of such countries I fully agree with Gunnar on the
topic (and thanks him for drafting current composition of CD as an example)
and I'd like also to consider the fact that the NETWORK ITSELF is moving
North-Eastwards (Fabrizio, you are on the Netcom-L, never heard about the
famous expression "the network is turning to be NL + Eastern Europe"???)

Futhermore in France AEGEE almost do not exist not even on a local level, in
Spain well-functioning but also very few locals, Greece is MORE THAN JUST
PRESENT on the EU level (CD, AC, JC, Netcom of course, large presence in
WGs)
AEGEE turning northern??? Com'on! AEGEE don't stop in Holland or Poland,
much more to the north there's a Region that you should know very well, with
all the existing  problem in expanding there....

About Italy? in my personal opinion too many Italians are convinced that
they don't get elected because they are Italians and when they fail, they
feel the right to blaim northern lobbies for this... I don't know who put
such a bullshit into the minds of people. Let me remind you people like
Mauro Schiavon and Sergio Maestri (just to quote the latest) that got
elected with LARGE consensus from the Agora.
Was that credit of an Italian lobby? Maybe, I don't know, but that was for
sure also the credit they got from being convincing with the rest of the
Agora... without that, they wouldn't have succeeded.

> In my opinion, without the creativity and the hard-working of south
> europe AEGEE is losing its natural balance with the consequences that
> we all witnessed in Amsterdam.

About creativity and hard-working of south Europe concerning consequences of
weakness witnessed in A'dam.... The overflood on the ground (on Sun
afternoon, after announcement of re-vote) of "south-European" people
protesting, screaming, blaiming, complaining, creating a mess without
listening any call back to silence and proper behaviour from the Chair...
was that one example of such a "creativity"?

Dear frinds I like all of you so much, but in that moment I really was
disappointed on the way most of people run down to protest: sometimes we
complain about the behaviour of our Parliament when taking decision... and
when it come to us, we can do nothig but behave the same way.
I would have rather prefer to see a more "civilized" Agora where people
discuss with respect to people speaking (both in favour or against decision)

> Luca, Amedeo, Davide, Chiara, Enrico, Francesca & everyone of you, I
> wait to see your reactions. It's our time to speak loud!!!

This is my reaction, a quite long one, I hope I won't be the only one
commenting.
I like you so much like I love all the people you quoted above, but I regret
to tell you that I do not support this vision of you in a single line.

Regards,
Chiara Benetazzo

AEGEE-Treviso
ABC team