AEGEENEWS-L Archives

March 2004

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Ewa Solarczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AEGEE Monthly Review mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:03:52 +0100

      22.03.2004 - Seminar "Youth issues and the European Parliament Elections 2004"

      Youth issues really not important for MEPs?...
      On the 25th of March AEGEE-Europe is organizing a seminar on the youth issues and the European Parliament Elections 2004. Increasing the number of reasons for young people to vote in the EP 2004 and thus achieving a higher participation of young people in the voting process, can be done by highlighting the policies relevant for them and their reflection within the policy makers' viewpoints.

      The two topics of discussion will concern the future of the EU education programmes and the opportunities and obstacles of the employment and entrepreneurship for the youth in the enlarging European Union. Our main aim is not only to gain different points of view on the two topics, but also make the results of the seminar widely available to students and representatives of the Institutions, especially the European Parliament and the Commission, supplying them with a student point of view on the topics of major importance for young people and their future on our continent.

      "While youth participation and involvement in the elections are among the priorities of the Irish Presidency, our enthusiasm regarding the seminar was turned down when almost 200 MEPs contacted declined our invitations. As there is a general lack of awareness regarding the importance of the European Parliament Elections and not strong support from MEPs to have a dialogue with young people in addressing issues relevant to them, we are worried that we are going to face again a low level of participation among young people in June voting. - says Adrian Pintilie, President of AEGEE-Europe - "We wish that the statements made by politicians regarding youth participation and policies went beyond words and matched concrete actions such as this seminar, and the support for the involvement of young people was not an extra PR but a reality."

      The seminar is prepared in close co-operation with JADE (a student-run, pan-European network representing about 20.000 young entrepreneurs in more than 150 local non-profit organisations called Junior Enterprises) and AEGEE's official media partner EURACTIV (the leading EU policy portal). The venue of the seminar is the Romanian Embassy in Brussels, and the panel discussion triggers off at 5 pm, preceded by the welcome coffee at 4.30 and followed by the cocktail at 7 pm. To learn more about the seminar go to: www.aegee.org. If you want to participate contact: Ewa Solarczyk at [log in to unmask]

      AEGEE is one of Europe's largest interdisciplinary and voluntary student associations, operating without being linked to any political party, promoting a unified Europe, cross-border co-operation, communication and integration in academic environment, and at the same time striving to create an open and tolerant society by involving students and young graduates in valuable projects and discussions over the topics of importance for the communities they live in It is represented in 260 university cities, in 42 countries all around Europe and has about 17000 members.

      More information:
      Ewa Solarczyk
      Vice-President / Director for Public Relations

      European Students' Forum - AEGEE
      Rue Nestor de Tiere 15
      1030 Bruxelles
      Phone: +32 2 245 23 00