AEGEENEWS-L Archives

November 2002

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Meg Chudzik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AEGEE Monthly Review mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:39:16 +0100
Dear Madam, Sir

Please find below the latest AEGEE-Europe Press Release concerning our activities on the field of Education.

Kindest regards

Meg Chudzik
AEGEE-Europe Public Relations

European-wide promotion of ERASMUS

On the week of 18th – 25th October three largest European student networks: European Students’ Forum (AEGEE), The National Unions of Students in Europe (ESIB) and Erasmus Student Network (ESN) joint their power to organize the “Erasmus Action Week”. The action took place simultaneously in 100 academic centers in Europe. It aimed at increasing the interest of students in studying abroad, as well as celebrating the fact that by the end of this year 1 million students will have participated in the Erasmus program.

During the whole week local branches of the three associations focused on raising the students’ awareness about the benefits and advantages of studying and living in a different academic and cultural background.

“Erasmus is a major success and a trail-blazer in European integration. But where do we go from here? I am sure there is a lot that can and must be improved, such as the program's visibility and the size of grants. We have now reached the one million mark. I aim to reach two million students by 2007 and three million in 2010" claims Viviane Reding, European Commissioner for Education and Culture.

During the "Erasmus Action Week" universities from all thirty countries participating in Socrates program organized conferences and seminars on the local and national level to mark this milestone.
“We are all aware that the mobility of European students is the key to strengthening the European feeling of students, as well as their cultural understanding. It should be made clear that mobility needs more attention from all decision makers” said Tomek Helbin, President of AEGEE - Europe.

In Brussels, “1 million ERASMUS celebration” took place on 24th of October and gathered the European Commissioner for Education and Culture, Viviane Reding, the President of the European Commission, Romano Prodi, the Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen and 30 former and present ERASMUS students.

AEGEE is one of the biggest students’ associations in Europe. It aims at promoting European integration and intercultural understanding. With its network of 17.000 students AEGEE has the means to make a serious effort to influence key parties for the implementation of their projects.

To find out more please contact
Ms Malgorzata Chudzik
AEGEE-Europe Public Relations
or call: + 32 2 245 23 00