AEGEENEWS-L Archives

May 2011

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Michael Makowiecki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Makowiecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 17:59:07 +0200
61 years ago the Schuman declaration was the starting point of Europe as
we know it today. You can find the full text of the declaration here
<http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/9-may/decl_en.htm>. Comparing the status
of Europe at the moment to today, we can only be happy with the progress
that has been made so far. We can only gladly cheer "Happy Birthday Europe".

However, there is still a long way to go. Europe is still far from
having open borders, both in the perception of physical borders, when
talking about our brothers in Caucasus, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus,
Russia, even in the Balkans, but also about mental borders that we
ourselves raise to others because they were placed in an "inferior"
cultural, political, financial, ethnical or other environment.

AEGEE -- the European Students' Forum would like to remind to all
relevant stakeholders that we still have a lot of work to do to create a
real European Citizenship, not on a document, but in the mentality of
all Europeans and to abolish prejudices across our continent.

Happy Birthday Europe! AEGEE wishes you to reach 100 years without any
other war. May you be the Europe we all dream of by then!

AEGEE-Europe