AEGEENEWS-L Archives

July 2003

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Alexander TAYLOR <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexander TAYLOR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:45:27 +0200
AEGEE helps youth involvement in World Summit on the Information Society

From 15-18 July, the Intersessional Meeting preparations for the World Summit on the Information Society, was held in Paris. AEGEE Europe attended the meeting part of its involvement in the Youth Caucus Group, which channels the input from the youth inside the WSIS process.

Mr Adrian Pintilie, Secretary General of AEGEE Europe, points out that "there are substantial improvements to the Declaration of Principles. It is now clearer and more concise."

The paragraph concerning the role of young people in the information society was inserted by the Youth Caucus during the previous conference. Astonishingly, the European Union suggested striking the clause in Paris. Through a strong unified stance in the Youth Caucus, the delegates present at the meeting were eventually convinced in our position, and the motion from the EU was overruled.

At the conference in Paris, the Youth Caucus first questioned the representatives regarding the developments after the Summit to be held next December. "As representatives of the youth, we ask for the Plan of Action to be a concise and time-bound document which contains clear means of implementation.  The present text is simply not good enough" remarked Mr Pintilie. We are left facing the questions 'where are the specific commitments?',  'what are we actually going to do?' and 'who is going to do it?' Will the governments' and private sectors' dedication subside after this Summit, as with almost every other UN Summit? The youth has to be included throughout the document. Therefore, youth participation to the drafting process is of vital importance. This opinion was shared by all the representatives of youth organisations at the Meeting. Following the example of the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Type II partnerships should be created for the Plan of Action to work more efficiently.

AEGEE Europe will continue to be involved in the preparatory process of the World Summit on the Information Society as well as in the implementation phase until Tunis 2005, as part of our strategy in 2003-2004. Recognising their integral role, we will continue to pursue a more active involvement of the youth in the WSIS process.

AEGEE is one of the biggest students' associations in Europe; the network boasts approximately 17.000 students, which means that AEGEE has the means to successfully execute our various projects. These projects are designed to facilitate our fundamental principles: European integration, peace and stability, cultural exchange and higher education. The outcome of our various projects is intended to influence the decision-making process.

For more information please contact:
Mr. Alexander Taylor
Director of Public Relations
Comité Directeur AEGEE Europe
at: [log in to unmask] or call +32-2- 245.23.00
For general information about AEGEE, please visit: http://www.aegee.org

__________________________
Alexander E.Taylor
Director of Public Relations