AEGEENEWS-L Archives

February 2006

AEGEENEWS-L@LISTS.AEGEE.ORG

From:
Bernd Knüfer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bernd Knüfer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:33:29 +0100

Press release - 07-02-2005

-For immediate release-

AEGEE answers the Cartoon Crisis

AEGEE Europe is deeply concerned about the recent developments, beginning with the cartoon drawings that were published in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten newspaper. Some of the cartoons included the portrayal of the Prophet Mohammed wearing a bomb-shaped turban and another showed him as a knife-wielding nomad flanked by two women shrouded in black.

In Islam it is forbidden to depict the Prophet Mohammed in any way. Furthermore, the depiction of Mohammed in suggestive cartoons was a serious infringement on the beliefs of many Muslims, and thus, highly offensive.

In many western cultures, cartoons are meant to be ironic, satiric, sarcastic, and exaggerated. They are neither fundamentalist nor politically correct. They are a tradition in many European countries and many people, therefore, defend this as a freedom of speech.

AEGEE Europe is not linked to any political or religious program, thus making us independent. We aim toward an open and integrated Europe. Our mission includes active participation in building democracy and civil society. Many AEGEE Europe projects are connected with the current political situation, but in such a way that AEGEE Europe remains an independent unit, without any religions or political affiliations.

It is indeed a sad time, when endeavors are being made to bring civilizations closer together and to increase dialogue between the religions, that we suffer such a setback. The publication of these cartoons has been regarded by many as a violation of their religious beliefs. In addition, the increasing reprint of these cartoons in other European newspapers has resulted in causing harm to the inter-religious dialogue.

Muslim protest to the cartoons continues to spread further. The response of some Muslims has included the burning of Danish flags, ambassadors having to be recalled, European products being boycotted, and Scandinavians being threatened. Violence is neither a form of freedom of speech, nor the solution to the problem. AEGEE Europe is a living example of how different cultures can collaborate and coexist for the common good. We do not condone and cannot justify, by any means, the burning down of embassies or the act of causing physical suffering. Violence and tension can only increase the separation of cultures and civilizations. AEGEE Europe calls for open dialogue and an analysis of how we can use our differences as a source of progress instead of division.

AEGEE is one of Europe's largest interdisciplinary and voluntary student associations, operating without being linked to any political party, promoting a unified Europe, cross-border co-operation, communication and integration in academic environment, and at the same time striving to create an open and tolerant society by involving students and young graduates in valuable projects and discussions over the topics of importance for the communities they live in. It is represented in 260 university cities, in 42 countries all around Europe and has about 15000 members

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

Bernd Knüfer

Director for Public Relations

European Students' Forum - AEGEE

Rue Nestor de Tière 15