RAINBOW-L Archives

November 2000

From:
Luca Falcone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luca Falcone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:09:46 +0100
Dear friends,...

it's Luca Falcone, coordinator for the italian part of  "A VISA FOR AEGEE".
I hope my message will be not too direct: I don't want to insult anybody and
I continue to respect ideas of everybody. Only I'm not pleased with the last
development of the project. Under the name of the same project I sow  some
enterprises I don't share. And I don't share them not because of their
contents, that, on the contrary, are very near my personal feelings, but
because in this moment I think they were inopportune.
The main problem is that in the last period "A VISA FOR AEGEE" is changing
into the request of  the abolition of visa requirements in Europe, or, at
least, the realization of procedures as simple and transparent as possible.
AND IT'S NOT, AND IT WAS NOT, ITS PURPOSE !!! We projected to ask Italian
and Spanish Governments a sort of official identification of AEGEE and then
the posssibility TO OBTAIN VISAS for AEGEE members coming to partecipate to
AEGEE events!
Now this project is changing in something very bigger and more important,
and surely more beautiful, but VERY NEAR TO A DREAM!!!
We can't ask the abolition of visas. Or we can, but we will spend unusefully
our time! And our objective is not to organize a big and heroical
enterprise destined to a SURE FLOP, but a little discreet request perhaps
(and of course not surely!!!) destinated to obtain that AEGEE members from
Romania, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, Jugoslavia, Bulgaria will can
partecipate to Agoras and PM (Planning Meetings now!)  and all the other
kind of events in countries like Italy, Spain, but also others, like France,
that now are not included in the project.
Then, please! We can organize more then one project! Abolition of visas is
an other project, not "A VISA FOR AEGEE" (you can understand it also from
the name!).
Because of this, now I have some fears.
First of all the intersting and well-written letter Markus and Karina
addressed to all ministers of justice or home affairs of the EU!
Knowing Italian systems, I think that, unfortunately,  a letter like that
one (I repeat: it's a good letter!) was never read by the Doct. Piero
Fassino, Italian Minister of Justice, and by the Doct. Enzo Bianco, Italian
Minister of Home Affairs, but it was read only by some employees of the
Ministries. In this moment I'm very sincere. Then, please, forgive me!
The problem is that we asked something too big for us, something concerning
diplomatic contacts between States. Personally I think we can ask only
something about AEGEE! Not something about WORLD! Of course if we want to be
productive.
However the letters of "A VISA FOR AEGEE" will be sent to the Foreign
Affairs Minister, and other people not linked to those Ministries. Then we
can continue the project  with   the hope to still reach our receivers.

But the very big problem is about the letters from the patrons! They must
not be a request to abolish visa requirements in Europe, or at least make
procedures as simple and transparent as possible, or they can be, in the
best chance, completely unuseful: it's impossible that a State may change
its international law because of the request of a foreign authority! Can you
imagine Italy changing rules about relationships with Romania because of the
request of, for exemple, the President of the German Parliament, or  of the
last President of URSS?   I think it's impossible! And after that we won't
try anithing else!
But this is the best chance! The worst, and the most probable, is that
patrons will refuse their letters, because they know , before everybody
else, they can't interfere in that way in the life of an independent State!
And then we won't ask them anithing else!
And in both cases our project will be closed! Finished!
I don't know Eva's opinion about this question, and I'd like to know what
about Spain. For Italy this is the situation, I think!

Then, please, continue in the first way, following the first project! This
is my prayer!
And in that case:

1. Please, Ivana, our dear general PR Responsible, ask three or four patrons
to write for us A PRESENTATION OF AEGEE FROM THEIR VIEW POINT, WITH THE
REASONS WHY THEY ACCEPTED TO PATROCINATE AEGEE, and nothing else, please!
The request about visa must be from us, from, at least for Italy, Davide
Calenda, NetCom for the region (who, kindly, has just accepted!). Letters
from Patrons must be only a support for the credibility of AEGEE!

2. At least for Italy I think it's better to subscribe letters with only the
names of  the Italian Presidents. Then, please, can the President of each
Italian Antenna reading this e-mail send me the confirmation I can subscribe
in the future those letters with their names. Of course it's only a first
confirmation! The last  and the most important one will be after they will
read the letters!

3. Can all the Presidents of antennae suffering problems for visas start
sending me their schedules?

4. It's a request for some NetComs: can Sebastian Hejnowski (NetCom for
Central Region), Davor Abramovic (NetCom  for Carpathian Region) and Ivan
Petrenko (NetCom for East Region) start asking all the antennae with
problems with Italian visas in their regions to send me their schedules
(follow, please, the model I introduced you in my first e-mail on AEGEE-L!).
I need the help of NetCommies if I want to reach all the antennae.

I don't know if for Spain Eva will decide for the same system! Wait for her,
for the Spanish part of  the project.

5. Dear Markus, may you continue, at least for the Italian size, to
coordinate the part concerning CD also after this specification? I know I'm
asking you a lot of things in the same period, but it's an evidence of AEGEE
vitality about the question of visas!

Now I'd like to greet each of you.
See you.

Luca Falcone
AEGEE Europe Human Rights WG PR Responsible
Visa Freedom Fighters WG
Vice-President AEGEE Napoli
E-mail address: [log in to unmask]